“Star Trek: Short Treks” Review by Suzanne 5/20/20
I’m a huge “Star Trek” fan, and I had just gotten around to watching “Star Trek: Discovery,” so I was very happy to get this DVD collection of “Short Treks.” I hadn’t seen them before. They’re very good. Some are funny, and some are cute, and some are very poignant. After watching all of these, I had to track down the last one, “Children of Mars,” which is not on this DVD. It aired much later, so that’s probably why. It’s very good and should win an Emmy, IMHO. Scifi rarely wins Emmys, though.
You should definitely watch “Star Trek: Discovery” before watching these because otherwise you might be a little confused because the characters are from that show. Too bad they didn’t make any Short Treks for all the other Star Trek series!!! Those would have been fantastic to watch.
There are a lot of features on the DVD’s, too, such as “The Making of Short Treks.” I especially enjoyed the tribbles episode and behind-the-scenes feature, not only because I’m a long-time Star Trek fan, but also because I’ve interviewed David Gerrold before.
This DVD would make a great gift for any Star Trek fan. I hope they come out with more of them next season.
BOLDLY GO INTO THE EXPANDING STAR TREK UNIVERSE AS
STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS TAKES FLIGHT
ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD ON JUNE 2
Together for the First Time, New Collection Features Nine of the CBS All Access Original Short Stories, Including Two Animated Shorts, and
More Than 50 Minutes of Exclusive Special Features
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (March 16, 2020) – Dive deeper into key themes and characters that fit into Star Trek: Discoveryand the expanding Star Trek universe with the forthcoming STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS collection. Arriving on Blu-ray and DVD on June 2, the new release offers fans nine of the Star Trek stand-alone short stories in one collection for the first time ever.
The collection of shorts includes three U.S.S. Enterprise-focused shorts featuring Star Trek: Discovery: Season Two favorites Anson Mount (“Captain Christopher Pike”), Ethan Peck(“Spock”) and Rebecca Romijn (“Number One”); all four of the original shorts, starring Rainn Wilson (“Harry Mudd”), Mary Wiseman (“Ensign Sylvia Tilly”), Doug Jones (“Commander Saru”) and Aldis Hodge (“Craft”); and two animated shorts from the Star Trek universe with animation unlike any done before for the Star Trek franchise.
Fans can discover never-before-seen bonus content, including:
● COMING OF AGE – Tied to the “Runaway” short, the ﬁrst installment of the new Short Trek format was written by executive producers Jenny Lumet and Alex Kurtzman about Tilly ﬁnding a stowaway with whom she can relate. In this behind-the-scenes interview, Kurtzman, Director Maja Vrvilo and star Mary Wiseman talk about the use of the short to give the audience further insight into Tilly’s character.
● SHALL WE DANCE – Writer Michael Chabon and Director Olatunde Osunsanmi discuss the challenges of creating a compelling story with only one on-screen character in the familiar setting of the U.S.S Discovery for the “Calypso” short.
● FIRST CONTACT: KAMINAR – A deep dive into “The Brightest Star” short and creating Saru’s backstory with the Star Trek actors and writers.
● COVERED IN MUDD – Tied to “The Escape Artist” short, an interview with star Rainn Wilson about directing the Harry Mudd short and his experience on both sides of the camera.
● ENSIGN SPOCK’S FIRST DAY – Writer Michael Chabon talks about writing for Ensign Spock and ﬁnding hidden talents in relation to the “Q&A” short.
● HERE COMES TRIBBLE – Fans will dive into “The Trouble with Edward” short as prop master Mario Moreira discusses bringing back the beloved Tribble for the shorts.
● SCORE! – A behind-the-curtain discussion with Oscar® and Grammy® Award-winning composer Michael Giacchino about taking the reins on “Ephraim and Dot,” and directing and composing for Star Trek: Short Treks.
● BEDTIME STORIES – Writer Brandon Schultz, director Olatunde Osunsanmi and actor Kenric Green (“Mike Burnham”) discuss the development of “The Girl Who Made the Stars,” the animated Short Trek about a bedtime story.
● THE MAKING OF “SHORT TREKS” – An in-depth discussion with executive producer Alex Kurtzman and more about how and why the new concept Short Treks were made.
● TWO AUDIO COMMENTARIES – Featuring Executive Producers Alex Kurtzman, Jenny Lumet providing commentary for the “Runaway” short, and star Anson Mount providing commentary for the “Ask Not” short
The first two seasons of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY are now available to stream on CBS All Access and are distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space channel and OTT service CraveTV. The first two seasons are also available on Blu-ray and DVD. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.
Blu-ray & DVD Shorts:
● “The Brightest Star”
● “The Escape Artist”
● “The Trouble with Edward”
● “Ask Not”
● “Ephraim & Dot”
● “The Girl Who Made the Stars”
STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS Blu-ray and DVD are presented in widescreen (16×9) format with English SDH subtitles. The DVD will offer English 5.1 Surround Audio and the Blu-ray will present English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.
CBS Home Entertainment manages the worldwide DVD and Blu-ray businesses for the CBS Corporation across all lines of content including current hits and classic series from the vast CBS library, as well as new releases from Showtime Networks. CBS Home Entertainment products are released on the CBS DVD and CBS Blu-ray labels.
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.
Watch on Amazon Prime Video! Season One Season Two
Proofread and Edited by Brenda
The opinions in these articles are those of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The TV MegaSite or its other volunteers.